Sunday, September 8, 2013

Robo-Geisha 2009 Review

Robo-Geisha
Suck it 90’s ‘Tank Girl’, this is the real thing.

Well, about time I review another movie from my favorite country: Japan.  And yes, this movie is weird…Really ass-bugging-Stomp-on-the-face-and-drives-of-a-cliffs-only-to-pop-up-in-front-of-your-window-at-3-am-whispering-something-about-killer-turtles-while-you-only-wanted-a-glass-of-water weird.
Are you afraid? Well, you better be, cause here’s Robo-Geisha
Released in 2009 by Noboru Igushi , this proves my point that japan isn’t just crazy, it’s a new kind of crazy bred in a lab somewhere only to escape in nothing but a yellow mankini and slap people in the face with a dead fish.
Ever wondered what would happen if you mixed ‘The Terminator’ with ‘Memoirs Of A Geisha’ and ‘Godzilla’ and a whole lot of meth? Well, here’s your answer:
An ultra-violent weird and insane trip filled with out of place humor and nonsensical fight scenes between geisha’s and robots, ninja’s, giant robot castles and a nurse…for some reason.

What is this movie really about? Well, these kind of movies often don’t really have much of a story, the humor and value are based more on how much they can get away with. But with Robo-Geisha, there is surprisingly more story than needed. It tells the tale of two sisters, the elder being a geisha and the younger being pretty much Cinderella with major anger issues. Let’s just say they don’t get along, and it doesn’t help that this perfect young guy with a major bank account is more interested in the younger sister, Yoshi (yeah, I know, just roll with it). They both get invited to his company where we learned that he is an evil villain who wants to take over the world with his father and do evil stuff like stomping on puppies and laughing at sick kids and all that evil business.
Thus the two sisters are recruited to his army of cyborg Geisha assassins. And instead of saying:
 “eh, I know you’re pretty much Cruella from the 101 Dalmatian with slightly better hair and a penis and stuff, and I can roll with that, but I’m probably gonna go now because of the serious case of ‘dying’ that everyone in your company has been getting lately”, the two sisters decide to turn the whole thing into a competition, killing as many as possible, getting better upgrades and taking the physical abuse like a boss to eventually become ‘The Very Best’.
Well, the movie decides that this plot is getting old somewhere halfway through and Yoshi gets betrayed by the Asian Ken doll and his company and left for dead at the side of the road. But of course, an older Winry from FMA just happens to pass by and gives her sweet upgrades. Thus Yoshi, now armed with the lower body of a tank and enough fire power to blow up the whole country, decides to open a can of whoop ass of biblical scale on the bad guy’s HQ, which has now become a giant Godzilla robot and who is destroying random building…which are bleeding when destroyed, yeah, I don’t even…

You thought i was kiding, didn't ya?

This movie is simply amazing, not because it’s good or anything, but because it’s so bad, but on purpose , which makes it ok, right?
But all kidding aside, I loved this movie. Never did I find myself bored or not laughing, it managed to hit every single note perfectly, even if hitting said note perfectly required to have some of the worse effects I’ve seen in a while, which in my case only entertained me more.
The intention was to make a movie so ridiculous as possible and I’ll be damned if it isn’t one of the most ridiculous movie I’ve ever seen.
The only thing I can compare it to would be “Panty and Stocking with Gartenbelt”, the humor, pacing and ridiculousness is similar, but Robo-geisha takes it one step further in the ‘weird’ direction. Surprisingly, the story telling is also shockingly similar, teasing us with serious moments and drama, only to slap us in the face with an over the top nonsensical fight scene out of left field, as if the show and the movies were telling us: “yeah, we can to so much better than this, we could actually have a story, but f*ck that noise! Here’s a chick with tank wheels driving on the side of a building while playing a shamisen shooting lasers at a giant walking castle destroying the city”, and it works perfectly.
I spoke of the effects earlier, I think I didn’t do it justice when I said it was some of the worse I’ve seen in a while, cheap CGI bullets and blood that flies everywhere across the screen without rhyme or reason, pretty similar to the “Violent Shit” movies (in case you don’t know any of them, trust me when I say it’s pretty bad and in no way a compliment). The practical effects are over the top and works perfectly for the goofy tone this movie was going for, like some guy with shrimps shoved in his eyes or a man being hit so hard his head retracts back into his torso, you know, all the good stuff.
The dialogue…do I need to say anything else than an example early on in the movie where a man is told an assassin is going to kill his within three minutes:
- “Kill me in three minutes? Three minutes is as much time as you’ve taken a dump but you’ve still got like, faint bits of shit sort of smearing at the toilet, right?
I rest my case.
I don’t know what’s worse, that this movie has everything from butt-shurikens to acid breast milk, or that I was laughing at every single immature joke this movie was throwing at me. Ah well, final verdict? If you like Japanese humor, give it a watch, and if you’re not familiar with Japanese humor, you might want to approaches  this one carefully but I still highly recommend it, only for the sheer ridiculousness and because it might be one of the most random thing you’ll ever see.


Things I’ve learned from ‘Robo-Geisha’:
- Ass-play is taken quite literally in this movie.
- Everyone in this movie went to the same target practice as the Star Wars storm troopers.
- Grandpa be packing heat.
- Ass-swords…really movie? You just had to push it didn’t ya?



Personal rating: 8,5/10


Critical rating: 4,5/10


4 comments:

  1. Yep, Japan is my favorite country too. So many crazy movies like this one, and of course, classics like Seven Samurai, 13 Assassins, Godzilla, etc. Heck, they actually have two films with the titles Big Tits Zombie and Rape Zombie aka Lust of the Dead. They've really got to go to extremes to shock now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japan's culture is far more daring than western filmmakers. one of the fews that really goes over and beyond to entertain, and that's something worth apreciating.
      altough some would say they go too far with movies such as Ichi the killer (Amazing insane movie btw) but at least they keep you guessing. i was planning to do a review of either suicide squad or battle royal and all it's sh8tsquels, but now you've given me ideas with Big Tits Zombie and Rape Zombie, thanks for that XD

      Delete
    2. Ichi the Killer is fantastic. Crazy like a lot of Takashi Miike's stuff but awesome, and Battle Royale is one of my favorite films (I even like the sequel even though it's nowhere near as good). I haven't seen Suicide Squad... do you mean Suicide Club? I never saw that one though. I've been meaning to for a long time but haven't yet.

      Rape Zombie aka Lust of the Dead has two sequels as well. You can tell from the trailer though they're all awful.

      Delete
    3. oh yeah, suicide club is the one i meant, sorry XD
      and battle royal is simply amazing, but i couldn't sit trough the sequel, just didn't do it for me.

      Delete